||The Mormon Rebellion: America's First Civil War 1857-1858
||David L. Bigler and Will Bagley
||University of Oklahoma Press
From inside jacket:
In 1857 President James Buchanan ordered U.S. troops to Utah to replace Brigham Young as governor and restore order in what the federal government viewed as a territory in rebellion. In this compelling narrative, award-winning authors David L. Bigler and Will Bagley use long-suppressed sources to show that contrary to common perception the Mormon rebellion was not the result of Buchanan s blunder, nor was it a David-and-Goliath tale in which an abused religious minority heroically defied the imperial ambitions of an unjust and tyrannical government. They argue that Mormon leaders had their own far-reaching ambitions and fully intended to establish an independent nation the Kingdom of God in the West.
Long overshadowed by the Civil War, the tragic story of this conflict involved a tense and protracted clash pitting Brigham Young s Nauvoo Legion against Colonel Albert Sidney Johnston and the U.S. Army s Utah Expedition. In the end, the conflict between the two armies saw no pitched battles, but in the authors view, Buchanan s decision to order troops to Utah, his so-called blunder, eventually proved decisive and beneficial for both Mormons and the American republic.
A rich exploration of events and forces that presaged the Civil War, The Mormon Rebellion broadens our understanding of both antebellum America and Utah s frontier theocracy and offers a challenging reinterpretation of a controversial chapter in Mormon annals.
Table of Contents
List of Illustrations
- To Sow the Wind: Beginnings
- This Land Is My Land—or Yours?
- The Remnant of Jacob
- A Terror to All Nations: The Crusade for Sovereignty
- The Cleansing Blood of Sinners: The Reformation
- To Cut the Thread: Independence
- Come Forth to Slay the Wicked: Mountain Meadows
- The Want of Cavalry: The U.S. Army Stumbles to War
- Pitch into Them: Brigham Young Orders Bloodshed
- Deleterious Ingredients: Of Murder, Salt, and Supply
- The Days of Your Kingdom Are Numbered
- Let the Consequences Fall: Buchanan's Ultimatum
- The Fall of Sebastopol
- One-Eyed Justice
Authors Only | Authors with Titles | Titles by Category | Titles Only
Home | FAQs
| What's New | Topical Index
| Testimony | Newsletters
| Online Resources | Online Books | Booklist
| Order/Contact | Email
| Other Websites