||Joseph Smith's Plagiarism of the Bible in the Book of Mormon
||Jerald and Sandra Tanner
||Utah Lighthouse Ministry
Revised and Expanded.
Digital Book Version Available
Besides the extensive list of parallels between the Bible and the Book of Mormon, this book examines many other possible sources used to create the text, i.e. the Apocrypha, the Westminster Confession, various newspapers and books, etc. Also examined is the Solomon Spalding theory, common phrases, chiasmus (Hebrew poetic form), influence of Freemasonry and folk magic, and the problems with the loss of the first 116 pages of the Book of Mormon manuscript. This revised and expanded edition also includes Covering Up the Black Hole in the Book of Mormon.
Table of Contents
- Part 1: Joseph Smith's Plagiarism of the Bible in the Book of Mormon
- Joseph Smith
- Was Joseph Smith Capable of Writing Such a Book?
- Ancient or Modern?
- Nineteenth Century Revival Language
- Recasting Bible Stories
- Alma Like Paul?
- John the Baptist
- Nephi's Psalm
- New Testament Concepts
- Mimicking the King James Style
- Another Story in the King James Style
- Use of the Old Testament
- How Important are the Issues of Plagiarism?
- A Mormon's Response
- Biblical Names Used in the Book of Mormon
- Preface to the King James Version of the Bible
- Westminster Confession of Faith
- The King James Version of the Apocrypha
- Stan Larson's Study of the Sermon on the Mount
- Another LDS Scholar Dismissed
- Computer Studies
- Smith the Author?
- Smith's Common Phrases
- Doctrines Missing From the Bible?
- Growing List of Parallels
- New Testament Quotes
- New Testament Phrases in the Book of Mormon
- Part 2:
Covering Up the Black Hole
in the Book of Mormon
- Chapter 1: The Lost 116 Pages of the Manuscript
- The Black Hole
- Testing the Theory
- Using Filler
- Lehi's Dream of the Tree of Life
- The Book of Isaiah
- Chapter 2: Renaming the Plates
- Three Problems with the Story
- The Small Plates of Nephi
- Lehi's Genealogy
- Small Plates not Mentioned After "Words of Mormon"
- Other Changes Concerning the Plates
- Plates Made by Jacob?
- The Jaredite Records
- Moroni's Book
- Too Many Plates?
- Chapter 3: 1 Nephi Through Omni Written Last
- Smith's Use of "Therefore" and "Wherefore"
- Prophecy of Christ's Birth
- Chapter 4: Dates, Kings and Money
- Names of Kings
- Dating Events
- Chapter 5: Impersonal Accounts of Family Life
- Women Missing
- Children's Names
- Food and Cooking
- Chapter 6: Jew or Protestant?
- Jewish Customs
- No Passover
- Day of Atonement
- The Temple
- Animal Sacrifices
- Nothing Unclean
- Chapter 7: Revealing Jesus' Name
- The Printer's Manuscript
- Name of Jesus Christ
- Book of Moses
- Jesus Christ, Lamb of God or Messiah?
- Jesus in America
- Chapter 8: Chiasmus in the Book of Mormon
- Alma 36
- Chiasmus and Parallelism
- James J. Strang
- Other Examples of Chiasmus
- Borrowing From the Bible
- Repeated Phrases
- Lengthy Sentences
- Identifying Chiasmus
- Chapter 9: The Solomon Spalding Theory
- Family Statements
- Who Could Have Given It to Smith
- Record Hid in an Underground Box
- Two Manuscripts?
- Same Names?
- Writing Styles
- "And It Came To Pass"
- The Use of "Therefore" and "Wherefore"
- Spalding and the Missing 116 Pages
- Books About the American Indians Before 1830
- "The Language of the Egyptians"
- Ancient Records
- Slipping Treasures
- Masonic Influences
- Chapter 10: Fraud or Revelation
- Automatic Writing?
- Italicized Words?
- The Making of Props
- Selected Bibliography
Authors Only | Authors with Titles | Titles by Category | Titles Only
Home | FAQs
| What's New | Topical Index
| Testimony | Newsletters
| Online Resources | Online Books | Booklist
| Order/Contact | Email
| Other Websites